Ahh, Microsoft. Once the proud demigod of the computer industry, now just a pimple on it’s ass.
No amount of Wow can save you from obsolescence.
Since we’re practically neighbors (I’m just across the 520 bridge from you) I’d like to offer some advice:
- Switch to a POSIX-compliant kernel. It worked for Apple and they’re kicking your ass.
- Put 500 developers on the WINE project so it mimics the Win16, Win32, and Win64 APIs perfectly.
- Disallow any in-house developers from implementing non-crucial functions that do the work of awk, sed, grep, and other GNU tools. Write proprietary versions of these tools and make all your developers use that code when parsing, calculating - or just about anything else.
- Create a share-nothing library system for your code. One task = one program. Always.
- Remove the 55 million of 65 million lines of code from Vista that have been rendered unnecessary by the above changes.
- Make WPF and WPF/E rock-solid on this POSIX kernel and use it to outshine OS X Core Effects (you think WPF works well, you’re wrong)
- Sell this OS as the simplest, stablest, fastest, most feature-complete Windows ever.
- Stay a threat, earn back some respect.
If you do this you’ll have something like Mac OS X except it’ll run all Windows programs natively and run on all hardware.
Until then, best wishes.